My ValElection Worries


As the 2015 general elections draw closer, my heart gets heavier with fear of the unknown.  How apt can I describe the feelings I have about the elections?  Fear is at its peak in my heart as I worry about the continuity of our dear country Nigeria.

The period is so crucial to our political history that the world is waiting patiently to see the outcome of February 14 presidential election and the other elections.  With all eyes on the geographic entity called Nigeria, it dawns on me to say that the aftermath of the presidential election is bound to produce two results which could either make or mar country country.

 My opinion might not be objective in this matter but I am very convinced that the tempo of the elections is creating a lot of tension on people but everyone seems to be mute because of the key learnings drawn from time past when people who air their opinions don’t live to see the light of the day.

It is no doubt that the stakes are high for the two presidential aspirants who are both driven with the zeal to lead our nation. Though they have both been compelled to sign a peace chatter to maintain and uphold the peace of the land. It is a welcome development but my worry is how well has this peace chatter being inculcated into the hearts of their campaign teams and various supporters?

It is only vital that both young and old should realize the essence of keeping peace; pre, during and post election so that our clamour for good governance can be achieved irrespective of the party that emerges victorious at the general polls.  

Permit me to say that it is not out of place ‘for all of us to be responsible for all of us’. In essence, let Nigerians have value for lives and property. This period should not transform anyone to a ‘wild beast’ that will be ready to devour his fellow human just at the instruction of one man who might not recon with him/her after the month of election.  

I guess the elections couldn’t have come at any other time than the month of February, which is dedicated to Saint Valentine to celebrate and share love. In the same spirit as we have shared love in previous years, let the general election be the pedestal to share and show love thereby leading everyone to #DoTheRightThing.




0 comments: