A non daring generation

By Ken Adejumoh
Majority of the names in Nigeria political terrain were names I knew as far back in my high school days when I studied Government and History. My though then was that any name that is mentioned in history is among the fallen heroes.  

Later precisely 1998, my dad made it compulsory that we listen to NTA network news and also buy us news papers to read and be conversant with
all happening trends in the country. Between 1999 and year 2000, I got to understand that some of these names are still part of the decision making body of this country both directly and indirectly.

Having being reading about this people for over a decade and still seeing them looking smart and healthy in the affairs of the country, I realized that they all  started their public affairs when they were younger that I am today. Since I realized this, it has given me a course to worry about considering that fact that my age bracket is hardly heard or seen at the helm of affairs.

The tension grew n my heart daily until Thursday 14 March, 2014 when my senior media friend, Alhaji Raheem Akingbolu update his social media page with a piece of write up that unveiled the worries that have been tearing me apart silently.

His write on that morning was a perfect clue to some of the salient issues that have been bugging my head. Here is an excerpt from what Akingbolu updated. Thinking aloud he said; Why Why Why????? Awolowo (37), Akintola (36), Ahmadu Bello (36) Balewa (34) and Okotie-Eboh (27), Enahoro (27) led the struggle for independence after the death of Macaulay. Only Zik was 42 at the time.

In 1966, the first coup was led by: Kaduna Nzeogwu (29) and countered by Murtala Mohammed (28), Theophilus Danjuma (28), Babangida (25), Nanven Garba (23), Sani Abacha (23), Shehu Musa Yaradua (23), and brought into power Gowon (32), Ojukwu (33), Obasanjo (29), Buhari (24).

Most of the military administrators who governed the states under the successive military
regimes, most of whom are governors now, were under 30 years. The brief democratic dispensation which interjected the military interregnums also saw the House of Representatives in particular populated by majority of members under 30 years as well  as some senators.

Under 30s were also not in short supply with appointments, we have examples of MT Mbu who
became foreign affairs minister at 23 and Pat Utomi who became a presidential adviser at 27
and so on and so forth.

NOW:
Why is it that this age bracket is today still sleeping in 3 seater chairs in their parents’ homes?
Why is it that this age bracket is today still collecting pocket money from their parents?
Why is it that this age bracket is today still writing JAMB?
Why is it that this age bracket is today still sagging their trousers?
Why is it that this age bracket is today still searching for jobs?
Why is it that this age bracket is today no longer qualified to even be leaders of youth wings of
political parties?
Why is it that this age bracket is today so docile?
Why is it that this age bracket is today still incapable of feeding itself?
Why is it that this age bracket is today barred by law from even aspiring to certain political offices?
Why is it that this age bracket is today incapacitated, unwilling, unable and incapable of asking
questions?”

After reading through, I pursed and asked myself; where has that spirit of bravery gone to in our youths?  I couldn’t help it but nod my head in pity for this age bracket and ask more questions like where did we get it wrong? Why can’t we dare like they did when they were in our age?

It is very sad to note that instead of daring, this age bracket has been bewildered with too much religious belief that is hardly reflected in their actions. The hours of thinking to make positive change, a couple of them are seated under the ministration of another fellow who cajole them with sweet words of attaining greatness effortlessly.

Instead of daring, we now hide under the Cloak of very positive statements like “God will do it for me, God’s time is the best, I am the head and not the tail, I am not cut out to suffer, sorrow is not my portion, etc”. These are the unpalatable words they spit every moment.

I do not dispute the fact that God has  the ability to make our wishes come to pass but one singular fact I know and I remember always is that the word of God says “I will prosper the works of your hand”.

Our religious belief and pretentious practice of the religion has truly affected our thinking. We think within the box and continually repeat the same strategy which has not enabled us to take a single step forward.

The principle of pragmatism has been thrown into the air that we now dwell more on theory. We read works of great men, we read motivational books, listen to and watch motivational CDs yet this age bracket is yet to be motivated to dare for once. They charge they get from the materials read are yet to manifest in them.

While not undermining the efforts of these books and its likes because they impact transferable skills such as computer and IT; leadership and project management; team-work, communication, negotiation and mediation; and administrable skills,  which are key to building daring mind. But the bottom-line is that there has to be a pushing force from within every young Nigerian. This will help to ameliorate a great number of unpleasant activities in our society.

From my perspective, I see that there are few mentors in our society today. Many young adults are in dire need of mentors and role models who would remind them that hard work pays ultimately and daring by taking the bull by the horns is a strategy to key development.


0 comments: